7.26.2006

I am more and more convinced...

that successful innovation is not about ideas, or even about execution, but rather...

It's about killing bad ideas quickly


I have no data to back this, I could not write an HBR article on it. Just a hunch based on what I've witnessed relative to ideas that have proven themselves through the pipeline yet can't seem to get resources to deliver due to those resources working on the wrong things.

I'm not advocating the Innovator's Dilemma problem of examining an idea on paper and having the data to kill it due to market opportunity and sizing; however, I am advocating having the discipline to prioritize resources to ensure the biggest opportunities receive the feeding they require. The problem lies with those companies that do not have the capability to measure their highest opportunities.

I'm still a believer in fail faster... maybe I should augment with kill faster?

No comments: